Wednesday, October 18, 2017

How To Read In College


A question I regularly get from readers or just people that know me is, "How do you read so much since your in college?" Honestly I just do it but I do have some tips that might help you! I haven't seen to many of this advice posts going around so, here goes nothing. My tips and tricks to read more, while trying to survive university and college. 

Read before going to bed

This is also a really smart thing to do when, you are trying to read more while in college. I always used to just watch television, play on my phone, or stare at the ceiling instead of really getting anything done. This has changed my life, and improved my reading so much. You really don't grasp how much time you were wasting, when you start doing things during those breaks.




Read more than one book at a time

This is my number one tip for reading while in college. I always read more than one book at a time. I never started this to save time or read more. This was more so because I was a very bored child, and now it is a habit I can't break. Although seems like I shouldn't quit this habit. This not for every single person so if it doesn't work for you, don't fret! 

The major reasons behind this tip is that some books are more suitable for different periods of time, such as fiction novels are my go to at night, non-fiction when I am alert in the morning. Or a funny audio book during your drive to work, or an easy read if you commute in a different way. You might also be slowing down on your reading due to being bored with the material. Be careful and know your limits, you want to be able to really retain what you are reading. So something like 15 on going books, isn't probably realistic for most people. 

Remember to keep this pile of books at hand. I currently have a night stand pile and a coffee table book, and a couple in my backpack. Remember easy access is key for this tip. The same goes for e-readers or audio books. I space out personal development books and academic books also. 

An example of my currently reading list: 

1. Anasis Nin - Erotica - his is a fun classic read that really just makes me think and giggle. It is a beautifully fun read that I don't have to put more effort in. I don't care what people think so I read it in public. It is my "while waiting book" 

2. Hamlet by Willam Shakespeare- this is my current read for my Shakespeare class. I have to read so many pages every day, so it is my "school" book. 

3. Infectious Madness- This is my current non-fiction book. I am a double major with one of them being psychology. I like to try to include a psychology book in my reading at all times. I only read one at a time and this is often a once a week or so read. 


Track your Progress on a Website or App
There are so many different websites out there that allow you to really track and monitor your reading habits. My absolute favorite one, and one of the most recognizable one is GoodReads. These websites allow you to create an account to keep a tally of the books you are currently reading, have read, and want to read. They often give you a sense of achievement that will encourage more productivity. This will allow you to have greater focus in your readings. Also you can add reviews and thoughts on those books, you can use it sort of like an online book diary. A bunch of these sites will also give you recommendations that are based on your individual reading tastes.



Set a goal per reading session

This one I believe is the hardest for people. I really had a issue with this when I first started taking reading more seriously.  This one is a tip you have to sort of alter to meet your specific reading style. If you don't normally read many pages, set a reading page goal each time you read. I have to read or challenge my self to read 50 pages before moving on or setting the book down. You can also use this idea with chapters if you are a slow reader. Each time you set a goal, make it a little more tough. These extra pages will add up to much more reading in time.


Practice speed-reading

This is a really basic idea. If you want to increase your reading, you need to learn how to do it faster. I mean its not rocket science, but it is a hard thing to do. There are many different ways to increase your reading capabilities. There are different techniques for speed-reading in which you can train yourself. I won't explain them so your forced to check out the link above. 


I hope these tips helped. If you have any reading tips feel free to comment below. Happy reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment