Friday, October 13, 2017

Book Review: The Winters Tale


Title: The Winters Tale
Author: William Shakespeare
Page Count :
How I received it:
Actual Rating: 4 out of 5

I actually have read this book 3 times with different additions to try and compare and contrast. I really enjoy seeing different interpretations and the spin on the story it has.

This is one of the more challenging plays in my opinion.  It's at least the most daunting one if it wasn;t for my intro to Shakespeare class I would have picked it up last. Don't get scared, this is pretty normal with a play. The look better and actually show more emotions.

In classic Shakespeare fashion, there is a wide variety of conflict taking place. Which creates a wonderful amount of interest. This is a super sad play, and winter is perfect for that because everything is already dead outside.While I am not an expert I can not figure out if this is a tragedy or comedy. There seems to be an even mix. It doesn't really matter but I am curious. This is also close to the end of this playwriting, so he had mastered the art of plays at this point.  I really believe people need to put this on a required reading list, seems to be missed by many.

The play is complex and had many different conflicts and different scenarios.

Of course, many people might not enjoy or be interested in these classics. Remember just because you don't read classics or play don't feel bad. Everyone likes their own thing. If someone makes fun of you, just ignore them and dive deeper into your story.


Links to purchase: AbeBooks // Alllbris // Amazon //  Barnes & Noble // Book Depository // / Better World Through books // Hallf.com // Kobo //

Goodreads Description: 


Completely re-edited, the New Folger Library editions of Shakespeare's plays put readers in touch with current ways of thinking about Shakespeare. Each freshly edited text is based directly on what the editors consider the best early printed version of the play. Each volume contains full explanatory notes on pages facing the text of the play, as well as a helpful introduction to Shakespeare's language. The accounts of William Shakespeare's life, his theater, and the publication of his plays present the latest scholarship, and the annotated reading lists suggest sources of further information. The illustrations of objects, clothing, and mythological figures mentioned in the plays are drawn from the Library's vast holdings of rare books. At the conclusion of each play there is a full essay by an outstanding scholar who assesses the play in light of today's interests and concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment