Friday, October 20, 2017
Book Review: Keeper (Children’s Series)
This is a series that involves spotlighting wonderful Children's literature in both publishing worlds. This is a once or twice a month feature. Feel free to check out the series here. Below is a running list of each post in this series.
I have a few feelings about this book. I am not really sure how I feel about this book. I review books with a couple of different perspectives, obviously, I am not a child but I do try to imagine what they think or read it to a child, or let them read the book. I just don't know if a child would really enjoy a story that is 400 pages, and so very slow. There were times when I wanted to skim the pages, but I resisted the urge.
I really like Kathi Appelt's poetic writing style, the style of her stories, her tone in her writing. It was so lovely reading the story. I enjoyed the self-discovery and purpose she weaves into her story. The depth of the language and the meaning behind the language was beautiful. I would give her five stars just for that. I enjoyed the magic, and whimsy this story hints and flirts with. Although it never really develops in any way.
This story is told over the course of a day in the like of Keeper, a ten-year-old girl that lives in texas. She believes that she is half mermaid and half human. She has basically a foster family, and they have been looking after her since her mom left when Keeper was just a tender age of three. It has been a hard day in her life. Mainly due to her actions. It turns into a mess, and she just keeps making it a bigger more gigantic mess. I honestly really felt bad for the poor girl.
I find that is is a rather clever book. It has a weaving of myth, fantasy, with so much heartbreaking truth. I really loved the moral of this book, I would explain what the moral is, but it would give it away. I think this story also has the underlining message that pain and truth can also lead to something magical. Basically that your reality may be better than the fantasy you desire.
I also love a good animal story, they are always something special to me. I like mystery and magic. I love mermaid stories, which is why I picked up this book. This book was something else though. I feel like instead of the normal descriptions of animals, I liked the way Appelt desribes these animal. I really liked the companionship, protectiveness, humor, and an instictiveness was perfectly exicuted.
With all that said I do highly recommend this for children 8 and up and adults who love children's literature. Also, there is no shame in reading a good kid's feel good story!
Goodreads Description:
Keeper is a breathtaking, magical novel from National Book Award finalist and Newbery Honoree Kathi Appelt.
To ten-year-old Keeper the moon is her chance to fix all that has gone wrong ... and so much has gone wrong.
But she knows who can make things right again: Maggie Marie, her mermaid mother, who swam away when Keeper was just three. A blue moon calls the mermaids to gather at the sandbar, and that's exactly where Keeper is headed - in a small boat. In the middle of the night, with only her dog, BD (Best Dog), and seagull named Captain. When the riptide pulls at the boat, tugging her away from the shore and deep into the rough waters of the Gulf of mexico, panic sets in and the fairy tales that lured her out there go tumbling into the waves. Maybe the blue moon won't sparkle with mermaids and maybe - Oh, no ... "Maybe" is just too difficult to bear.
A little Bit of the Author:
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.
Two sons, both musicians.
Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment