Too girly or too boyish. Too thin or too fat. Too quiet, too loud. Be ambitious, but don't hurt feelings. Be inquisitive, but don't interrupt. Be outspoken, but don't be bossy. Most of all, be yourself--but be a lady.
What's a girl to do in a world filled with contradicting gender expectations, aside from saying sorry?
The way we teach politeness norms to children is often confusing, changing based on gender--and can have lasting effects. And while everyone should be courteous and accountable for their actions, apologetic language out of context can undermine confidence and perceived capability.
Within the subtle yet beautiful illustrations and powerful rhyme of "The Girl Who Said Sorry," developing girls will learn that self-expression and personal choices can be made without apology, and with confidence.
50% of profits from this book is donated to Girl Up, a United Nations Foundation campaign dedicated to empowering young girls to take action on global issues
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
This is a book for children but honestly I needed this book when I was a child. I am the girl that says sorry far to often and even apologizes for the other person. This book is beyond powerful for young girls and a must have for your daughter, sister, cousins, students, or what have you selves.
I absolutely loved this little book. I was so thankful that I was able to review this little charm of a book. This is a book that teaches girls one of the most valueble lessons, and that is the value of a sincere appology. This is a lesson that is important in a persons life.
The girl who said sorry is abou a girl who is being forced to deal with societies expectations. Something girls everywhere battle on a near constant basis. Sexism and gender roles are rampid through our culture almost all are unwarrented and are slowly changing. The girl in the story is forced to be small and agreeable with everyone but thankfully in the end she realizes that she needs to be her true self. She needed to not worry about what other people thought.
Overall this is a really good moral book. It is a poweful book that will teach girls a powerful lesson.
Disclaimer: I recieved this book for free in exchange for an honest review.


No comments:
Post a Comment