Preteens prove that cultural differences can be overcome in this middle-grade novel about a native Mainer and a Somali girl who form an unlikely and supportive friendship.
Twelve-year-old Jacques's mother has passed away, his father is jobless and drinking again and his grandmother's bridal store is on the verge of going out of business. Plus he's under pressure from an older boy to join in some illegal activities. At least Jacques can look forward to the soccer season. After all, he's a shoe-in for captain.
But the arrival of Somali refugees shakes up nearly everything in Jacques's Maine town, including the soccer team. So Jacques is surprised to find himself becoming friends with Kiki, a cheerful and strong-minded Somali immigrant.
Despite their many differences they are able to help one another triumph over problems with friends, family and growing up.
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
"We have a new student today. Her name is Saynab, but she says that she likes to be called by her nickname, Kiki. Is that correct?” Mrs. Sinclair looked anxiously at the girl.
“Yes,” the girl replied in a low soft voice, “sometimes I am calling myself Kiki.”
Kiki and Jacques is so good. I enjoyed this book so much. It had great diversity and representation in a middle-grade story. The story starts in a small two in Maine that has mainly French Canadians in it, they are now facing an influx of refugees from Somali. These two diverse populations must learn to live together and cooperate and leave their biases behind.
Of course, due to this being middle-grade story, the writing is super simple although there were some words that will stretch children's vocabulary. I would recomend this book to every library both public, private, and school. This is a must-read for all kids. It teaches them equality, diversity, and how to live with people of different cultures.
The plotline was intriguing and different than most middle-grade literature out there right now. While it was super easy and quick for me to read I never felt bored or compelled to put the book down. The book was clean and without violence, cussing, or any other sort of profanity.
I enjoyed the fact that this book has a person of color that isn't a "token character". The refugees are fleshed out and actually researched. Furthermore, I love that the other got actual Somali people to read her novel and they approved of her representation of their culture.
I hope to read more by this author some day.


No comments:
Post a Comment