Sunny Lewin has been packed off to Florida to live with her grandfather for the summer. At first she thought Florida might be fun -- it is the home of Disney World, after all. But the place where Gramps lives is no amusement park. It's full of . . . old people. Really old people.
Luckily, Sunny isn't the only kid around. She meets Buzz, a boy who is completely obsessed with comic books, and soon they're having adventures of their own: facing off against golfball-eating alligators, runaway cats, and mysteriously disappearing neighbors. But the question remains -- why is Sunny down in Florida in the first place? The answer lies in a family secret that won't be secret to Sunny much longer. . .
MY THOUGHTS ON THE BOOK
Warning: Drugs
I thought this was such a needed book with the issues facing America today. Although it is different than I expected since I picked it up based on the cover.
Above all else, this is a charming graphic novel. Even though it covers a very serious and sensitive topic. This book is ultimately the story of a young girl who is sent to live with her grandfather in Florida for the summer. This book is set in the 70s, and she finds Florida to be boring given the fact she spends most of her time at her grandfather's retirement home. Meanwhile, she is carrying a dark secret that you find out by various flashbacks to her life months before this trip.
Through these flashbacks, we notice a downward spiral it seems her brother is on. He goes from happy to mean and angry over the course of the book. Sunny must keep his terrifying secrets even after he hurts her.
I believe this is a critical book for teens and tweens to have if they are going through a family member with a drug or drinking problem. Even without this in their lives, they will still be able to relate to Sunny and being bored over the summer. I know I was.
It has a great moral to it. That addiction shouldn't be hidden, that no secrets that make you feel horrible should be kept, and to seek help from an adult.
I am so thankful I picked this up from the library.
Warning: Drugs
I thought this was such a needed book with the issues facing America today. Although it is different than I expected since I picked it up based on the cover.
Above all else, this is a charming graphic novel. Even though it covers a very serious and sensitive topic. This book is ultimately the story of a young girl who is sent to live with her grandfather in Florida for the summer. This book is set in the 70s, and she finds Florida to be boring given the fact she spends most of her time at her grandfather's retirement home. Meanwhile, she is carrying a dark secret that you find out by various flashbacks to her life months before this trip.
Through these flashbacks, we notice a downward spiral it seems her brother is on. He goes from happy to mean and angry over the course of the book. Sunny must keep his terrifying secrets even after he hurts her.
I believe this is a critical book for teens and tweens to have if they are going through a family member with a drug or drinking problem. Even without this in their lives, they will still be able to relate to Sunny and being bored over the summer. I know I was.
It has a great moral to it. That addiction shouldn't be hidden, that no secrets that make you feel horrible should be kept, and to seek help from an adult.
I am so thankful I picked this up from the library.


No comments:
Post a Comment